Model’s Second Leg Removed Caused By Super-Absorbent Tampoon
Ringo | On 17, Jan 2018
Model Laura Wasser had her second leg removed after she suffered toxic shock syndrome (TSS), which was caused by a super-absorbent tampoon.
Just last Sunday, she faced the inevitable moment. She shared a picture of her while recovering on her hospital bed.
“Today was a day for another surprise…a moment with the bad ass @AmyPurdyGurl (a double amputee that goes the distance for herself but other amputees as well!). Thank you so much for coming by and inspiring Lauren. I hope you enjoyed babe! Love you,” said Wasser.
Last year, Wasser had her left leg removed. One of her advocates is to raise awareness about the damages caused by the infection.
“In a few months, I’m inevitably going to have my other leg amputated. There’s nothing I can do about it,” said Wasser in an interview with Instyle Magazine. “Toxic Shock Syndrome cost me my leg, but, years later, I have since dedicated myself to raising awareness about TSS prevention.”
According to Mayoclinic, “is a rare, life-threatening complication of certain types of bacterial infections. Often toxic shock syndrome results from toxins produced by Staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria, but the condition may also be caused by toxins produced by group A streptococcus (strep) bacteria.”