After Gruelling Five Months, DND Sec. Announces War In Marawi Is Over
Ringo | On 23, Oct 2017
Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin Lorenzana announced that the battle in Marawi is already over, at exactly five months since it started.
“After 154 days of siege in Marawi with Daesh-inspired Maute-ISIS group, after a week the commander-in-chief declared the liberation of Marawi City, we now announce the termination of combat operations in Marawi City,” Lorenzana said on Monday during the ASEAN defense ministers meeting (ADMM).
“The Philippine forces, aided by its government and the massive support of the Filipino people, have nipped the budding infrastructure and defeated terrorism in the Philippines,” Lorenzana added.
The last battle was ended after the terrorists tried to make their last stand inside the main battle area.
The military members found 42 dead bodies of suspected terrorists in two buildings and a mosque in the center of the clash. Lorenzana also noted that the remaining hostages were found in the past few days.
Leaders from residing cities and provinces that take care of evacuees are now looking forward to the announcement so the Marawi citizens can return to their places.
The National Housing Authority (NHA), on the other hand, have shown the bunkhouses for the evacuees.
Related Posts :
Like Philippine Daily
- University Student Takes Selfie On Rooftop, Falls To His Death
- Nadine Lustre Talks About Losing Her Brother; James On How It Affected Their Relationship
- Dahlia Pastor, Suspect Use to Have Sex in Enzo’s House
- Look: This 2018 Sinulog Costume Immediately Goes Viral
- Who is Ali Khatibi, the Father of Cristine’s Child?
- Police Who Killed Mark Soque Will Receive Honors
- Soldier Dies In Zamboanga Training Course
- Mom Ties Baby Like A Dog
- Taboos In Southeast Asian Countries
- Child Rapist Raped, Treated by Doctors; Gang Raped in Prison