Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Philippines Daily | February 18, 2018

Scroll to top

Top

No Comments

Former DOH Head, Janette Garin, Surfaces; Denies She Leads Dengvaxia Program

Former DOH Head, Janette Garin, Surfaces; Denies She Leads Dengvaxia Program

| On 09, Dec 2017

Former Department of Health (DOH) secretary Janette Garin came out to explain her side of story in the Dengvaxia scandal.

Garin, in an interview with ABS-CBN News, said it was her predecessor, Enrique Ona who spearheaded the DOH program, which has given free anti-dengue vaccines to children.

“Hindi po ito decision ko lang. Hindi po ito sinimulan lang nung pagpasok ko,” said Garin.

Garin said One announced his plans to buy Dengvaxia as early as June 2014.

“I think June or July [2014], Secretary Ona already announced na magkakaroon ng bakuna ng dengue by 2015, probably middle (of the year), and the department is contemplating putting it in their public health program, pero sinabi rin niya na wala pa ‘yung presyo at ‘di pa napag-uusapan,” said Garin.

Garin said Ona’s move received disagreement from the DOH and Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) for being unethical. She also confirmed that the vaccine being eyed by the government is indeed Dengvaxia, which is being manufactured by the Sanofi Pasteur.

The government procured the Dengvaxia for P3.5 billion for more than 1 million public school children. More than 800,000 have been given with the shots.

Just last week, Sanofi announced that the people who have been vaccinated with Dengvaxia but has yet to have the disease may be communicated with a more serious. Probes have been called by many senators.

Loading...

Submit a Comment

Cool Facebook Widget