Duterte Signs EO On Smoking Ban
Ringo | On 19, May 2017
President Rodrigo Duterte signed an executive order (EO) on smoking ban nationwide.
Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella and Department of Health (DOH) secretary Paulyn Ubial confirmed this news on Thursday. She said the EO was signed on May 16.
BREAKING: First two pages of the eight-page EO on smoking ban pic.twitter.com/CvcrGxuuPQ
— Trisha Macas (@trishamacas) May 18, 2017
The EO No. 26 was entitled “Providing for the Establishment of Smoke-free Environments in Public and Enclosed Places.” It provided the following unlawful and prohibited:
- Smoking within enclosed public places and public conveyances, whether stationary or in motion, except in designated smoking areas (DSAs)
- Allowing, abetting, or tolerating smoking in prohibited areas
- Smoking, selling, or buying tobacco products by minors
- Selling, distributing, or purchasing tobacco products while using the defense that one didn’t know the real age of a minor or didn’t know nor had any reason to believe that the product would be consumed by a minor
- Ordering, instructing, or compelling a minor to use, light up, buy, sell, distribute, deliver, advertise, or promote tobacco products
- Selling or distributing tobacco products in a school, public playground, youth hostels, and recreational facilities for minors, including those frequented by minors, or within 100 meters from any point of the perimeter of these places
- Placing, posting, displaying, or distributing advertisement and promotional materials of tobacco products, such as but not limited to leaflets, posters, display structures, and other materials within 10 meters from the perimeter of a school, public playground, and other facilities frequented particularly by minors, hostel, and recreational facilities for minors, including those frequented by them, or in an establishment when its location is prohibited from selling tobacco products
- Placing any form of tobacco advertisement outside of the premises of point-of-sale retail establishments
- Placing any stall, booth, and other displays concerning tobacco promotions to areas outside the premises of point-of-sale locations or adult-only facilities
This EO will take effect 60 days after it’s published in general circular.