Duterte Says No More Auction Of Smuggled Goods
Ringo | On 14, Feb 2018
President Rodrigo Duterte said on Tuesday that he moved to ban the auction of seized goods from smugglers.
“So I said from now on, there will be no auction on smuggled goods. It will be destroyed once the period of redeeming it [ends] and I will take note of those people who are there,” said Duterte in a press conference in Malacañang.
Duterte said this ban will prohibit the smugglers the chance to purchase their cars at a much cheaper price with fewer taxes.
“The import, the consignee is fictitious. Then the corrupt office there in the Customs, the auction section and after a while, while they are being parked inside the warehouses, if the time comes for government to make the accounting, they would conduct the auction and sell it to the people who really, in the first place, were responsible [for] importing them. This insanity has to stop,” Duterte said.
Last week several luxurious cars were destroyed at the ports of Manila, Davao, and Cebu. Duterte said he prefers income from scrap material rather than the purchases from the auction.