Duterte Declares Martial Law In Entire Mindanao
Ringo | On 24, May 2017
Yesterday, the government troops had a clash with terrorist Maute Group in Marawi City.
Locals of Marawi posted several pictures showing armed men, wearing black and covering their faces, were roaming the streets carrying guns. It has been claimed that they used to ask people if they are Muslims and if you can’t prove it, you will be taken.
A jail and a school ended up burning. People are not ok and they are inside their houses. Electricity went down. Gunshots were heard all over the city.
In line with this, President Rodrigo Duterte, who is in Russia for a state visit, declared a martial law in entire Mindanao.
Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said this will be effective for 60 days, as stipulated in the Constitution.
“This is on the grounds of resistance and rebellion based of what is happening,” said Abella. “What the president has done is only for Mindanao including Basilan, and Tawi-Tawi.”
Duterte also canceled his state visit. Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said the president have spoken to his counterpart and they understood the situation. He left Russia on Tuesday evening.
“They understand that the President has to return to the Philippines. I will stay behind to sign agreements. The president feels he is needed in Manila ASAP,” Cayetano said.
Related Posts :
Like Philippine Daily
- Mom Ties Baby Like A Dog
- UST Student Council Condems Mocha Uson’s Award
- Police Who Killed Mark Soque Will Receive Honors
- Most Cruel Festival: China’s Dog Eating Celebration
- Disneyland Philippines To Be Built In Ilocos Norte?
- Another Suspect In ‘Daisy’ Video Arrested
- James Reid’s Ex-Girlfriend Clears Nadine Lustre in Breakup
- Taboos In Southeast Asian Countries
- Why James Reid and Girlfriend Broke-up?
- Watch: Titibo-tibo By Mikee Cate