8 QC Students Rushed To Hospital After Eating Macapuno Candy
Ringo | On 16, Jul 2015
Eight students were brought to the hospital after consuming macapuno candy.
Students from Juan Sumulong High School were brought to the Quirino Memorial Center on Thursday, July 16, after experiencing vomiting, headaches and stomach aches. The students received free samples of macapuno candies.
According to a report by dzBB, a total of 40 students received the free candy, but only eight got poisoned. ABS-CBN News quoted Assistant Health Secretary Elmer Punzalan who said the candies were given by a vendor from Calauan, Laguna.
Sample ng macapuno candy na nabili ng mga estudyante na naging sanhi ng pagkasakit ng kanilang mga tiyan at pagkahilo pic.twitter.com/moK7ON1rut
— doland castro (@dolandcastro) July 16, 2015
The ABS-CBN News added that four of the students were brought to the intensive care unit (ICU) after showing signs of grave poisoning such as hyperventilation and abnormal heart rate.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) already took samples of the said candies. A representative from the agency said they are suspecting Organophosphate, a chemical found in pesticides as the chemical that caused the poisoning.
A photo posted by Zandro Ochona (@akoposizandro) on
This incident came after less than week when thousands people fell sick after consuming durian candy.